Innovate real-world solutions to help your community!
Compete against other students to create a social media campaign, educational program or new community process that helps families in your neighborhood reduce high energy costs. We’ll provide you with the supports you need, and each submission must include both a video and written presentation. You can compete as an individual, duo, or a team, but only one cash prize will be given per level.
Click Here to Register for the Health Equity & Energy Challenge
Health Equity & Energy Challenge:
We’re looking forward to getting your creative ideas on how to reduce high energy costs for the families in our communities who are affected the most.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
– Low-income households tend to pay more in utility costs than other families. They spend 17-50% of their income vs. other households which pay only 4%.
– Higher energy expenses can result in less money available for rent, medication, food and other family necessities.
– Higher costs can be caused by outdated heating and cooling equipment, insufficient insulation, leaky doors and windows, and even less energy efficient light bulbs or appliances.
– Older homes in low-income communities tend to have outdated heating and cooling equipment, and the families who live in them suffer much higher incidences of respiratory and cardiac problems.
– Many families are either not aware of the resources that can help them, or are not able to access the support they need